It’s a regular day but something is up, well to be more accurate you’re feeling down. That familiar funk has come back to bite you in the butt. Whether it came from a Monday, rainy day or that one particular person who always is pushing your buttons we’re in this together. I have collected some research on how to “Fight Your Funk.”
Yesterday when I was feeling moody and not myself I knew something was up because usually, I am very inspired and happy about life. I tried EVERYTHING I thought might help me escape my mood but nothing was working.
I tried meal prepping, nope.
Then I tried to go work out, I left early.
I even tried eating pie, surprisingly it did nothing for me.
The feelings of listlessness and hopelessness were consuming my thoughts. Have you ever felt that way? I am sure you have because I know I am not alone. That is why I took to Instagram. If there is one thing I love about social media and technology is that it gives me a way to break stigmas and barriers.
I know that even I (someone who runs a blog called How To Be Social) can feel down and in the dumps and so I know there are many more out there who feel the same. I posted about how I was feeling and got an alarming amount of replies back.
“Literally me ALL THE TIME.”
“Speaking to my soul right now.”
“GIRL YES! Everything you said is true for me too!!! I just haven’t found the words to write yet! “
I decided that I needed to write those words. SO MANY PEOPLE go through what we label “funks.” The problem is that we leave it as that – a funk. I refuse to believe that there is nothing that we can do to break our funks though. That is when I took to the internet to do some research.
Turns out there is a lot of scientific explanations behind our funks and even ways to break them. Before I go on though you should know that funk is not the correct label for what we are feeling though. Ultimately what we are experiencing is a hormonal and chemical imbalance. Lucky for us there are several ways our bodies give off natural hormones and chemicals that can make us feel fabulous again.
Serotonin: Feeling Calm
If your funk comes from a place of stress or panic you might need some serotonin in your life. There are a couple ways to produce serotonin naturally.
- Reminiscing: Remember how it felt when you finished that really hard workout or got an A+ on a test you studied REALLY hard for? That’s the money, remembering. Just thinking or looking at something you’ve done can give you a serotonin boost!\
- A Deep Breath: Breath in, breath out. Yup, it’s as easy as that.
- Binaural Beat Frequencies: Honestly, I am not sure this works but you know what it made me feel better!
Dopamine: Feeling Pleasure and Motivated
Now you might have heard of this one because it is quite common and is commonly referred to as the motivation molecule! What is not so common are the ways to get it flowing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Crazy right? But it’s true! If you are feeling unmotivated (and maybe even gassy) you could be in need of some stomach acids in order to activate your dopamine! Sounds weird but you can learn more about it here.
- Get Rid Of Stress: I know this might be harder but when stress is high it can cancel out that dopamine drug. So drop something or even someone who might be stressing you out.
- Reduce sugar: Whoops guess that pie wasn’t a good choice, o well.
Endorphins: Feeling Excited
Endorphins are a direct response from moving around and getting your blood pumping. The feeling of excitement is something that is easy to achieve and can be done in several ways.
- Eat Chocolate and Chili Peppers: Yes sounds like an odd combo but you don’t have to eat both at once.
- Get Moving: Looks like I did do something right! I worked out but honestly, it just wasn’t enough for me. Good thing there are a million other things on this list! Hey but listen, you don’t have to hit the gym though. You can just take a walk while listening to some good jams.
This post is just tips and tricks but if you truly want to boost your mood you should get deeper into the science of it! Hit Youtube, my friends. The more you know the better off you are!
Happy Monday my friends, hope this helps start your day off right!
Comments are closed.